Artboard 1 apply Artboard 1 copy 2 Mount_Logo_Primary_RGB Mount_Logo_Primary_RGB give Artboard 1 copy 3 info link Mount_Logo_Primary_RGB Artboard 1 Artboard 2 Artboard 1 visit

Living on Campus FAQs

Getting situated comes with many questions about housing, keys, supplies and rentals, computers and phone networks and resources like mail and laundry. We hope to hall all of the most commonly asked questions here - but if we do not, send us an email.

Housing Questions

Can I cancel my Housing Contract?

The Mount St. Mary's University Housing Contract indicates that the contract term is for a full academic year. You may cancel your housing contract during the year but may be assessed a $250 fee. You may also not be eligible for a refund. Please refer to the university's refund policy found in the Housing Contract. Students must contact Residence Life in writing if they are terminating their contract (Release from Housing Contract).

If I like my room, can I keep it for the following year?

No, because most of our buildings are specific to the class year. Each year, the housing need varies depending on housing accommodations and number of returning students. Housing Selection begins in February of each spring semester for the upcoming academic year. You will receive more information at the beginning of the spring semester.

Where do I find information on May Closing/End of the Year Closing?

The residence halls will close on the Thursday of Spring Finals Week. For the Spring 2023 semester, all residence halls will close on Thursday May 11, 2023, at 6:00 p.m. for all residents (except graduating seniors and approved extended stays). The last day for graduating seniors & May extended stays is Sunday, May 14, 2023 at 10:00 a.m.

All students must vacate by that date.

What is the cost of housing?

Housing Rates for the 2023-2024 Academic Year:

Traditional Residence Halls

(Bradley, Brute, Dubois, McCaffrey, Pangborn, Sheridan)


Suites & Apartments & Powell

(Annex Suites, Dubois Suites, Horning, Keelty, Rooney)


Cottages & University Houses


Single Rooms

additional $500 per semester billed

Can I make repairs to my room/university property?

Because of liability concerns, student repair of any damages is prohibited. Any maintenance issues should be reported to a Resident Assistant.

What furniture is provided in residence hall rooms?

Most residence hall rooms have a desk, chair, bed, mattress, closet and dresser drawers. Lounge areas and dining areas in campus houses, apartments, and suites are also provided. See our residence hall guide for specific details.

What is the size of my mattress?

All mattresses are extra-long twin (80").

Hours: Monday–Friday 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Located in the McGowan Student Center
Email Us >

Questions About Keys

What should I do if I lose my key?

If a you lose one or both of your residence hall keys, you should immediately report the loss to the Office of Residence Life.

If you lose your residence hall room key after hours or over the weekend, Public Safety will coordinate the core change and key replacement process. When the core change is complete, the Office of Residence Life will issue you a new key. The core change and key replacement cost will be assessed to the your student account.

What if I get locked out of my room?

If a student is locked out of his or her room, Public Safety should be called. Public Safety will verify that the student requesting access to the room actually lives in the room. The student will need to provide a photo ID verifying his or her identity before or after Public Safety unlocks the door, depending on if the student left their ID in their locked room. There is also a fee assessed to the student for the lockout by Public Safety.

The student will also need to produce his or her room keys for the public safety officer after entering the room. If he or she cannot, Public Safety will contact the locksmith so he/she may initiate the core change and key replacement process.

Questions About Supplies and Rentals

Does the university supply curtains for the window?

No, the university does not supply curtains, but there are some curtain rods in the room and there are always standard issue blinds for each window.

Can I get extra furniture for my room (beds, desks, tables, sofas)?

The furniture currently in your room is all that will be supplied by the university. Most residence hall rooms have a desk, chair, bed, mattress, closet and dresser drawers.

Is there storage space available for my personal belongings?

There is no on-campus storage for any of your belongings that do not fit in your assigned residence. In addition, all belongings must be removed at the end of the year.

Can I put university furniture in storage?

University furniture must remain in the room, and you are responsible for its condition at the end of the year.

How can I rent a refrigerator / microwave combination appliance?

MicroFridges are available for rent at Apartments and university-owned houses are equipped with a full size refrigerator but you must provide your own microwave. Personal microwaves are not permitted in residence hall rooms that do not include a full kitchen.

Questions About the University Computer and Phone Networks

Does every resident have his/her own network connection?

Yes, each residence hall room is equipped with an Ethernet jack for access to the Internet. For more information about the university computer network, please check out the ITSC webpage.

Are land line phone lines provided in the residence halls?

Since many of our students have cellular phones, the university has discontinued our land line phone lines in the residence halls. We recommend getting a cellular phone for use.

Questions about Mail on Campus

What is my mailing address?

Your Full Name (First name, middle initial, and last name)
Mount St. Mary’s University
16300 Old Emmitsburg Rd
Emmitsburg, MD 21727-7799

What address do I use for packages being sent to me?

Your Full Name
Mount St. Mary’s University
16300 Old Emmitsburg Rd
Emmitsburg, MD 21727-7799

When can I ship packages to my campus address?

If you are moving to Mount St. Mary's University from a long distance, you can ship packages to the university to arrive within the week of your arrival. The Receiving Department will store the packages for you prior to your arrival on campus. Students can have packages shipped to them any time during the regular school year.